( butter flavor makes a darker roll..plus the flavor)
( white or yellow...use your preference)
1 (7 g) packets
active dry yeast
- In a medium saucepan melt shortening.
- Add sugar, salt, and cornmeal to melted shortening.
- Pour in milk and mix until smooth with a wire whisk.
- Cook until thickened. (will resemble porridge).
- Remove from stove and let cool to lukewarm.
- Meanwhile dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water (110-115 degrees)
- When cornmeal mixture is almost lukewarm (I cheat and put it in the fridge saucepan and all on a hot pad) add 2 eggs beaten to the yeast water and mix well.
- Add the egg/yeast mixture to the cornmeal mixture which is still in the saucepan.
- Scrape all into a large mixing bowl and add 4 cups flour mixing after each cup. I do this by hand with a large spoon as it is so sticky you will leave most of it on your beaters using a mixer.
- Cover and put in a warm place to double in size.
- Once doubled, place on a heavily floured surface and gently roll it to cover all dough until manageable and not sticky. Do not knead.
- Now roll about 1" thick. Cut into rolls and place in lightly greased pans. Cover and let raise until double again.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes. Will be lightly golden on top.