butternut squash, shredded
( a cheese grater works well)
whole wheat flour
olive oil nonstick cooking spray
- Place a large baking sheet in the oven, and preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place shredded squash and onion on a layer of paper towels. Cover with another layer of paper towels, and press down firmly to remove all excess moisture. Repeat until squash and onion shreds are as dry as possible.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine squash, onion, egg substitute, flour, and salt. Mix well.
- Using oven mitts or kitchen towels, carefully remove the hot baking sheet from the oven. Cover sheet evenly with a 3-second spray of olive oil spray.
- Spoon squash mixture onto the sheet in 12 evenly spaced mounds. Using the back of a spoon, flatten and spread each mound into a circle about 3 inches wide.
- Carefully (remember, it's hot!) return pan to the oven and bake for 8 minutes.
- Using oven mitts or kitchen towels, carefully remove sheet. Coat the top of the latkes with another 3-second spray of olive oil spray. Gently flip with a spatula.
- Return to the oven and bake for approximately 10 minutes, until both sides of latkes are crispy. Serve with sour cream topped with scallions and/or applesauce topped with cinnamon!