sweet red peppers
( 2 - 28 oz. cans, undrained)
vegetable stock base
( for garnish)
- Grill the peppers, turning frequently, until bla ckened all over.
- Peel off the skin.
- Gently wipe or scrape off any remaining black stuff from the outside. Cut open and discard seeds and white insides.
- Do not wash as this will flush away much of the flavour.
- Puree peppers and tomatoes in a blender or food processor.
- Strain out seeds.
- Place pepper/tomato mixture in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered for about 25 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except butter and basil.
- Simmer uncovered for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Set pan in ice water and gradually whisk in butter.
- Cool, cover and refrigerate overnight. Next day, heat gently, garnish with basil and serve. Note: This soup is quite mild.
- Some people might like to add a little zing, like maybe a dash of Tabasco.
- Dave Newcombe reply:daven at primeline dot net.