1 lb yukon gold potatoes or 1 lb
other yellow-fleshed potato, peeled
medium broccoli florets
leek, white part only, thinly sliced
( 1%, or milk of your choice)
salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Place the potatoes in a deep saucepan and cover with cold water to a depth of 2-inches.
- Cook uncovered over high heat until the potatoes can be easily pierced with a knife, about 20 minutes.
- While the potatoes cook, steam the broccoli and leek until the broccoli is very soft, about 15 minutes, drain.
- Drain the potatoes and place them in a deep bowl.
- Using a sturdy fork, mash the potatoes into roughly 1-inch chunks.
- Add the broccoli and leek, mashing until only small lumps of the broccoli remain.
- Add the milk, 2 tablespoons at a time, mashing until the texture is pleasing to you.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat until it is golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes, taking care it does not burn then stir in the mace.
- To serve, spoon the smashed potatoes into a serving bowl.
- With the back of the spoon, smooth the top, leaving several shallow indentations.
- Drizzle the butter, letting it pool in the hollows.
- Serve immediately.