large raw shrimp, shelled
4 tablespoons ghee or 4 tablespoons
finely chopped onions
green chilies, finely chopped to taste
finely chopped fresh ginger
fresh coriander, chopped
- Drop almonds and cashewnuts in 2 separate pans of boiling water.
- Boil for 30 minutes and drain.
- Peel the almonds by slipping them out of their skins and place in a food processor with the boiled cashewnuts.
- Whiz until they form a paste.
- Meanwhile, peel, wash and de-vein the prawns by making a small incision down the length of the back of each prawn and removing its black digestive cord.
- Wash and pat dry.
- Crumble saffron into warm milk.
- Leave to infuse.
- Remove the tiny black cardamom seeds and grind to a fine powder.
- Set aside.
- Heat the ghee in a wide pan over medium-high flame.
- Saute the onions until golden and the oil starts to separate from them.
- Add chillies and ginger.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring regularly, then mix in the nut paste (prepared above) and keep stirring until the ghee separates out and the paste leaves the sides of the pan.
- Add the prawns and 2 tbsps.
- of cold water.
- Keep stirring, adding a further 2 tbsps of cold water two or three times, until the prawns begin to turn pink and the sauce is a nice consistency.
- Mix in the saffron-milk mixture, season to taste and simmer for a minute until prawns are cooked.
- Finally, add the cream and once hot transfer to a serving dish.
- Sprinkle with cardamom powder and fresh green corriander leaves.
- Serve hot with steamed Basmati white rice.