fava bean flour
1 1/4 teaspoons
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening or 2 tablespoons
- Combine all of the dry ingredients, then cut in or work in the shortening using a pastry blender or two knives or your hand.
- Add the warm water, starting with 3/4 cup and mix well.
- Continue to add water until a soft, cohesive dough is formed.
- Heat a comal, tapa or griddle to medium heat. Then, form a ball of dough into a flattened disk, cupping the outside edges a bit to form a round.
- Dust a work surface with corn starch and, esing a bollilo or rolling pin, roll into a round disk about 1/8 inch thick and about 8 inches in diameter or to your preference.
- Bake one at a time on a hot griddle until the surface bubbles. Turn only once, the first side should have brown flecks.
- Bake until the second side has slightly browned - should brown in a very short time.
- Keep warm in a tortilla keeper or wrapped in a cloth until served.
- Note: Will freeze in a sealed plastic bag for up to three months.