unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for muffin tins
granulated sugar, plus more for muffin tins
bittersweet chocolate, melted
confectioners' sugar, for dusting
whipped cream or
ice cream, for serving
- 1. Preheat your oven to 400°F Butter 8 cups of your muffin tin (if you find that the batter doesn't fill all 8, you can just wipe them out later). Make sure there are no globs of butter in the cup though, because it'll make your cake mushy. Spoon some granulated sugar into each cup, swirling to make sure the cup is completely lined.
- 2. Next, cream the butter and granulated sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, incorporating them into the butter after each addition. Beat in flour and salt on low speed until combined. Then add in the molten chocolate, and beat until combined. At this point my batter was really runny, but Martha's on her video was more like cookie/cake batter. They both turn out fine.
- 3. Divide the batter among the muffin tins using a 1/4 cup measure, or until 3/4 full. These will rise some, so make sure you leave extra room.
- 4. Put the tin into the heated oven, and bake until the middle of the cakes no longer jiggle, about 8-12 minutes. Make sure you don't overcook it or you'll end up with chocolate cupcakes! Remove the tin from the oven, and let it sit for 10minutes before turning the cakes out.
- 5. Place them wide side down onto a plate, dust with confectioner's sugar, and serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.