1 1/2 cups
( or whipping)
small Brussels sprouts
salt, to taste
thick slab bacon, sliced into 1/2 x 1/4-inch strips
fresh ground black pepper
of freshly grated nutmeg
gruyere cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 450°F Lightly butter a medium-size gratin dish.
- In a small saucepan, simmer the cream over medium heat until it is reduced to 3/4 cup, about 10 minutes.
- Trim the base of the sprouts, discard the tough outer leaves, and rinse well. Place the sprouts in a medium-sized saucepan with salt and cold water to cover. Bring to boil and continue boiling for one minute. Drain and refresh under cold running water.
- Sauté the bacon in a small skillet until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels and coarsely chop.
- Combine the sprouts and bacon in the buttered gratin dish and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Pour the cream over the top and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake until nicely browned and crispy on top, about 15 minutes. Serve at once.