whole black lentils
onion, roughly chopped
garlic cloves, roughly chopped
gingerroot, roughly chopped
( 2 inch)
green chili, roughly chopped
( 1/2 cup)
( 2/3 cup)
- Put the lentils in a large, heavy-based saucepan, add 2 litres (8 cups) water and bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes - 1 hour (until the lentils feel soft when pressed between the thumb & index finger).
- Drain the lentils, reserving the cooking liquid.
- Blend the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli together in a food processor to form a paste.
- Heat the oil in a frypan and fry the onion mixture over high heat, stirring constantly, until golden brown.
- Add the cumin and coriander, fry for 2 mins, then add the lentils aswell as the salt, chilli powder and garam masala.
- Pour 300ml (1 1/4 cups) of the reserved cooking liquid into the pan, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in the cream and simmer for another 2 minutes to heat through.