gluten-free vanilla shortbread, crumbs
( Just whirl the Gluten Free shortbread around in your food processor until it is reduced to fine crum)
( you may need more)
walnuts, reduced to crumbs in the food processor
almonds, reduced to crumbs in the food processor
good quality unsweetened cocoa powder
good quality dark rum
semi-sweet chocolate chips
powdered sugar, for rolling the rum balls
- Melt semisweet chips along with canned milk in the microwave on low-med or setting 5 for approximately 45 seconds or until chips can be gently stirred into the milk. set aside.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together well.
- add the rum a little at a time until everything makes a stiff dough.
- You may need more rum, just add until it's the right consistency. Like play dough.
- Add melted chocolate mixture and rum extract and mix well.
- Rum Ball dough should be stiff yet pliable.
- Roll into teaspoon sized balls and coat with powdered sugar. put into small papers and store covered in the fridge for at least 3 days to let flavors mellow, then just before serving, roll in more powdered sugar.
- These freeze well. Just freeze on a cookie sheet and store in a freezer bag for up to 4 weeks.