self-rising flour, use leftover seasoned flour for the gravy
ground black pepper
lean ground beef
( for frying)
- In a shallow dish beat together egg and 1/2 cup milk, set aside.
- In another shallow dish or on a plate mix together 3/4 cup of flour,seasoned salt,pepper,and garlic powder.
- Shape ground beef into three equal sized oval "steaks" and flatten into 1/4 inch thickness.
- Add each "steak" one at a time to egg mixture, coating both sides well.
- Then add each "steak" to seasoned flour,making sure to cover each side well.
- Heat oil over medium heat in skillet large enough to hold all the "steaks".
- Add "steaks" to hot but not smoking oil, cook until both sides are golden brown.
- Remove "steaks" and keep warm.
- To make gravy, drain all but 3 Tablespoons oil, add flour and stir into oil until a paste like texture is reached.
- Cook this mixture (roux) for about 5 minutes on medium heat to eliminate the raw flower taste, then warm the milk before adding to roux.
- Stir in milk a little at a time until desired thickness is reached, if you want it a little thinner add a bit of water.
- At this point,taste and add more seasoning if desired.
- Pour gravy over "steaks" and mashed potatoes.