1/2 cup brewed espresso or 1/2 cup
day-old egg bread, 1-inch cubes
sliced almonds, if desired
FOR CARAMEL SAUCE
whipped cream, flavored with
- Make custard:.
- In a small saucepan combine espresso or coffee and 2.
- tablespoons sugar and boil until reduced to about 1/4 cup.
- Cool syrup.
- In a large bowl whisk together whole eggs, egg yolks,.
- remaining 1/2 cup sugar, half-and-half and syrup.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Spread bread cubes in a 9-inch square baking dish and sprinkle.
- with almonds if using.
- Pour custard over bread, making sure allbread cubes are covered, and let stand 30 minutes.
- Put baking dish in a larger pan and add enough water to pan to.
- reach halfway up sides of dish.
- Bake bread pudding in middle of.
- oven 55 minutes, or until golden brown and center is set.
- Make caramel sauce:.
- In a small heavy saucepan combine sugar and water and bring to.
- a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Boil syrup, without stirring but swirling pan occasionally, until deep golden caramel.
- Remove pan from heat and add cream slowly (mixture will.
- bubble up).
- Cook sauce over low heat, stirring, until smooth and caramel is dissolved.
- Add butter and stir until melted.
- Serve bread pudding with warm caramel sauce and cinnamon whipped cream.
- Serves 6 to 8.