eggplants, each cut into 9 1/2 inch thick rounds
extra virgin olive oil, plus
extra virgin olive oil
tomatoes, each cut into 6 rounds
fresh ground pepper
fresh basil leaves, plus sprigs for garnish
1 1/2 cups
crumbled feta cheese
( 6 oz)
- .Heat grill to medium.
- Spread eggplant slices on 2 baking sheets or trays. Brush 1/4 cup oil over both sides of eggplant slices. Spray another baking sheet with cooking spray and arrange tomato slices onit.
- Season eggplant and tomatoes with pepper.
- Oil the grill rack. Grill the eggplant slices until browned and tender, 5 to 7 minutes per side.
- Set aside. Place the baking sheet with tomatoes on the grill rack; cover and grill until tomatoes are bubbling and warm, about 7 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Spray six 7-10 oz ramekins ar custard cups 9 about the sane size as eggplant slices) with cooking spray.
- Assemble the towers. Using a wide spatula, layer an eggplant slice, a tomato slice, and a basil leaf in each ramekin. Sprinkle with about 1 tablespoon of feta. Repeat the layering once more, then top with an eggplant slice. Press down lightly.
- Place ramekins on a baking sheeet and bake until heated through and juices are bubbling around the edges. 25 to 35 minute.
- To serve, run a paring knife around the sides of each ramekin. Invert a plate on top and, grasping ramekins and plate with oven mitts, carefully invert the ramekins onto a plate. Very hot. Drizzle the tower with a little oiland garnish with basil sprig. Serve hot , warm or at room temperature.