onion, finely diced
long grain brown rice, rinsed before cooking
( I used Basmati)
3/4 cup slivered almonds or 3/4 cup
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons
kosher sea salt, to taste
ground black pepper, to taste
- Bring a pan of water to boil, add enough water to cook wild rice as directed. Add salt to pan and lower heat, cover and simmer gently for 45-60 minutes, until the rice is tender.
- If all liquid is not absorbed by the rice, drain well.
- While wild rice is cooking, melt 1 tablespoon butter in another pan.
- Add the onion and cook over medium heat for about 1 minute or until onion is softened and translucent.
- Stir in the long grain rice and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Add the parsley. Cover and simmer gently for 30-45 minutes, until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
- melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a small frying pan. Add the almonds and cook until they are just golden brown. Set aside.
- Add the wild rice mixture to the long grain rice mixture (I do this in the pan so everything stays warm). Add the almonds and raisins and stir to mix well.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Transfer to a warmed serving dish, sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve.