( these have a much stronger flavour and colour)
1 (375 ml) cans
creamy evaporated low-fat milk
salt & pepper
1 dash oil or 1 dash
- This sauce is really quick and only takes about 5 minutes to make once everything is prepared!
- White mushrooms are fine to use if you don't have Portabelo and you can chop them or slice them - whatever you prefer.
- Put the oil or butter in a medium sized fry pan with the mushrooms and cook them on a medium heat until they start to soften slightly. Add 3/4 can of evaporated milk and the tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and keep it at a medium heat.
- While the mushrooms are cooking in the milk (this won't take long!) quickly mix a little of the milk with the cornflour to form a paste. Add this to the sauce and keep stirring and it will start to thicken. Don't be afraid to bring it to the boil, it won't go funny.
- This is where it is up to you how thick you want the sauce! If it becomes too thick just add more Evaporated Milk till you get the desired consistency. If it is not thick enough just make up some more cornflour paste and add it a little at a time until it is just right. You really can't fail to get it the way you want. The best advice I can give is don't have the pan too hot and make sure you keep stirring!
- Also taste it before you add any salt and pepper as the Balsamic gives it such a nice flavour you don't want to overpower the sauce with too much salt and pepper. If it doesn't have enough flavour, add another dash of Balsamic Vinegar. It really is that simple!
- Pour it over steak and chips or any meat that takes your fancy! Or you can cook up some cubed chicken breast and add them to the sauce and serve with mashed potatoes and greens for a healthy delicious meal! This recipe can easily be doubled.
- One tip to give it your sauce more flavour is after you have cooked your steaks use the same pan and leave the juice. It saves on washing and adds that richness. Get saucy!