green bell peppers
1 1/2 lbs
1 (14 1/2 ounce) cans
diced tomatoes, with juice
2 (8 ounce) cans
1 (8 ounce) cans
shredded colby cheese, if desired
1 -2 tablespoon
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut tops off the peppers and scrape out the insides; making sure to get all of the seeds.
- Once cleaned out, place peppers in a casserole dish.
- If need be, cut a little off the bottoms to even out the peppers so they stand straight up.
- Brown beef with chopped onions.
- Drain off excess fat.
- Add tomatoes, 2 cans of the tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce; salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil and stir in uncooked instant rice; cover, remove from heat and allow to stand 3-5 minutes.
- Stir meat mixture and spoon it into the peppers.
- *Optional-Pour remaining can of tomato sauce around the bottom of the baking dish.
- You can add a little bit of water to thin it out, if you desire.
- If not using remaining can of sauce, be sure to add 3-4 tbsp.
- of hot water to bottom of baking dish.
- Cover baking dish and bake in the preheated oven for approximately 30 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- Remove cover, sprinkle with cheese and bake for a few more minutes to allow the cheese to melt.