( tart work best)
4 1/2 cups
yellow food coloring
- Steralize 6 quart jars if canning by washing them with soap and water and putting them in the oven at 215 degrees for a minimun of 15 minutes. They can stay in the oven until you are ready to take them out.
- Peel, core and slice apples. (Leave slices about 1/2 inch thick).
- Combine sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cornstarch and salt in large pot.
- Add water and cook on high heat, stirring frequently at first and then constantly until it boils. Let it boil for about a minute, at this point it should be nice and thick.
- Stir in lemon juice and food coloring.
- Pack apples in hot jars and fill jars with sauce just to the bottom rung of the mouth of the jar. I use a wooden spoon to push the apples down. DO NOT FILL THEM ANY HIGHER! THEY WILL EXPLODE!
- Yes, it happened to me! :(.
- Process jars in hot water bath for 20 minutes or freeze however you want to.