1 (8 ounce) cans
bulk pork sausage
( Jimmy Dean Hot Breakfast Sausage)
white onion, chopped
2 (4 ounce) cans
diced green chili peppers
1 1/2 cups
monterey jack pepper cheese, grated
1 1/2 cups
sharp cheddar cheese, grated
green onion, chopped
fresh ground black pepper
sour cream, to serve
salsa, to serve
( or picante sauce)
- Butter a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish.
- Unroll the rolls and press into bottom of baking dish, sealing perforations and coming halfway up the sides to form a crust.
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium-high heat, stirring to break up the meat, until browned. Add the onions and green chile peppers, and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes. Add the salsa and garlic powder, and cook, stirring, for one minute. Remove from heat.
- Pour sausage mixture over the rolls.
- In a large bowl, stir together the two cheeses with the green onions and the cilantro; sprinkle evenly over the sausage.
- At this point you may continue, or cover & refrigerate casserole overnight.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs with the salt and black pepper; and pour over the top of the casserole.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cover casserole with foil and bake for 30 minutes; remove cover and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes before serving. Cut into squares and serve warm or at room temperature, accompanied with sour cream and salsa or picante sauce.