3 1/2 cups
all-purpose flour, unsifted
1 (1/4 ounce) package
active dry yeast
egg yolk, beaten
- Mix 1 cup flour, sugar, salt and undissolved yeast.
- Heat 1 cup water and margarine to 120-130 degrees.
- Gradually add to dry ingredients and beat 2 minutes at medium speed of mixer.
- Add 1/2 cup flour, beat at high speed 2 minutes.
- Stir in enough additional flour to make a soft dough.
- On floured board, knead 5 minutes.
- Set in greased bowl, turn to grease top, cover and let rise in a warm place for 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Divide dough into equal pieces.
- Roll into ropes, shape into pretzels.
- Place on greased baking sheets, cover and let rest 5 minutes.
- Mix egg yolk and 1 tablespoon of water, brush on pretzels.
- Sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake 15 minutes.