( or thereabouts)
onions, chopped fine
carrots, peeled and chopped medium
celery ribs, chopped medium
2 (822.13 g) can
minced fresh thyme leaves
ground black pepper
226.79 g spinach, baby whole or 226.79 g
regular spinach, chopped
- Heat olive oil at medium-high heat.
- Add onions, carrots and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften (4-8 minutes).
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant (30 seconds).
- Stir in tomatoes, bay leaf and thyme; cook until fragrant (30 seconds).
- Stir in lentils, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until vegetables are softened and lentils have darkened *7-10 minutes).
- Uncover, add vegetable broth and water.
- Bring to a boil, cover partially, and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer until lentils are tender but not mushy (30-35 minutes).
- Discard bay leaf.
- Puree 3 cups soup in blender until smooth, then return puree to pot.
- Stir in spinach until wilted.
- Serve! (or place in plastic containers for work!).