- Rinse rice under running water until water is clear.
- In large bowl, cover rice with water; soak for 1 hour, drain.
- Add salt to large pot of boiling water; add rice.
- Cover and simmer until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Drain, reserving 1 cup (250 mL) cooking liquid; set liquid aside.
- Pour rice into large Dutch oven.
- In skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add sugar; stir until dissolved.
- Add reserved cooking liquid; bring to boil.
- Slowly pour over rice, stirring to coat.
- Stir in cardamom, cinnamon, cumin and pepper.
- Bake in 450°F (230°C) oven until water is evaporated, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 200°F (100°C); bake, covered, for 1 hour.
- Spoon into serving dish, mounding attractively.
- Meanwhile, peel and cut carrots into very thin strips or grate coarsely.
- In skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat; saute carrots and raisins until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Spoon over rice.