lemongrass, smashed and cut into 1-inch pieces
fresh galangal root, sliced in thin rounds
( may sub. ginger root)
fresh lime leaves
( may sub. 2 T. lime juice)
fresh tomatoes, cut in 3/4-inch dice
button mushrooms, quartered
chicken breast halves, sliced in 1/4-inch strips
fresh hot chili peppers
fresh cilantro leaves
- Boil 4 cups water in a soup pot. Add lemon grass, galangal, and lime leaves and cook 1 minutes. Add fish sauce and chili paste, cook 1 minute, and reduce heat to medium. Add tomatoes and mushrooms, cook 3 minutes, until broth bubbles again.
- Turn heat to maximum and add chicken strips. Stir to separate, and cook 5 minutes until chicken is done.
- Add 4 T. lime juice (this is in addition to the lime juice previously added, if you were substituting for the lime leaves). Stir.
- Crush chiles and cut in half. Add to soup and stir.
- Remove from heat, transfer to soup tureen and sprinkle with cilantro leaves. Serve immediately.