compressed yeast cakes
grated lemon, rind of
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon
- Add crumbled yeast and 1 cup of flour to the warmed milk.
- Beat well and allow to stand in a warm place until light.
- Cream butter and sugar together, reserving 3 tablespoons of the butter for brushing on top of the loaves.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Add yeast mixture, rum, lemon rind, salt, almonds, raisins and remaining flour.
- Knead on a floured board until smooth and elastic.
- Cover and let rise until double in bulk.
- Divide into 3 loaves.
- Roll out slightly; press down center with a rolling pin.
- Brush with reserved melted butter, fold over and brush top with butter.
- Place in greased bread pans; let rise until double in bulk.
- Bake at 350F for 45 to 60 minutes or until golden and done.
- Cool slightly; brush with frosting.
- **Variation: Napfkuchen; use half recipe above, increase sugar to 3/4 cup and use only 3 cups flour. Omit rum; bake in a tube pan or bundt pan.