1 (2 1/2 lb)
butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch chunks
fresh sage leaves
( chopped finely, about 1 tablespoon)
crushed red pepper flakes
1 (28 ounce) cans
( or vegan cheese)
prepared pizza crust
( or 6 pitas)
- In a large bowl, combine squash, half the chopped sage, 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Transfer to 9x13 baking dish and roast, uncovered 40 minutes at 425 or until fork tender and starting to brown on the tops.
- While squash is roasting, combine remaining oil, salt, oregano, red pepper and garlic in a small saucepan and saute on medium-high for about a minute, stirring frequently.
- Stir in tomatoes with juices and bring to a boil for a minute.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add balsamic vinegar. Stir for another minute and remove from heat.
- Spread pizza crusts or pitas with tomato sauce. Spread squash over tomato sauce and top with remaining sage and mozzarella.
- Bake at 400 degrees until cheese is melted.
- Enjoy hot.