dried butter beans
( or other beans, or lentils, or a mixture. Broth mix also works)
1 1/2 cups
( grated carrot, peas, peanuts, canned chickpeas, etc)
1 tablespoon concentrated chicken bouillon or 2
chicken stock cubes
- Add butter beans to a pan, and cover with boiling water, with an inch of water to spare. Leave to soak 24 hours. (If in a rush, buy canned beans and use 2-3x quantity).
- Add onions and garlic to a food blender and pulse until finely chopped. Add beans and pulse again for 10-20 seconds. Add other vegetables, nuts, etc and pulse until thoroughly mixed.
- Add salt and chicken stock and stir thoroughly.
- Fold in flour until mixture becomes a thick, sticky dough.
- To cook, form into 12-15 patties, of heaped tablespoon size. Alternately, roll into 2 large loaves. For the smaller patties, fry or grill these in a griddle until golden brown and firm. For larger loaves, bake or roast until cooked through. For "sausages", roll into sausage shapes and shallow fry, turning regularly.
- When using "meat" for food, the patties/loaves can be sliced into slivers for stir fries, chopped, sliced for sandwiches, thick-cut and fried as steaks, or slapped between buns to make "burgers".