( to taste)
crushed red pepper flakes, pulverized
spanish smoked paprika
oil, for brushing grill
2 (22 -24 ounce)
bone-in rib eye steaks, about 2-inches thick
extra virgin olive oil
- Combine all the spices in a bowl. Stir to evenly distribute all the ingredients. If you want to monitor the amount of salt, combine all the spices except the salt in a bowl. Add 1 tablespoon Kosher salt and stir. Taste the rub and then gradually add more salt to taste.
- Rub the outside of each steak on all sides generously with the rub and store any leftovers in an airtight container. Wrap each steak in plastic wrap two times, and refrigerate up to 24 hours (my preference) or at most 3 days. This makes the steak taste aged.
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill until hot. Brush the grill to remove any left over food, then oil the grill. Remove the steaks from the refrigerator about 20 to 30 minutes before cooking and let them come to room temperature. Just before cooking, remove the plastic wrap and lightly oil the steaks with extra-virgin olive oil.
- Place the steaks on a very hot grill and char both sides of the steaks, a few minutes per side. When the outsides of the steaks have become well seared, move the steaks to a cooler part of the grill to continue cooking for 6 to 7 minutes per side for medium rare.
- Remove steaks from the grill and let rest in a warm spot for 7 to 8 minutes. Cut the steak off the bone and slice on the bias across the grain in slices to the thickness you prefer, up to 1 inch thick. Add the bone to the serving plate if you have folks who will appreciate it. If desired, drizzle the meat with extra-virgin olive oil. Serve immediately.