fresh ground pepper
fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Put the beets in a large roasting pan. Drizzle with the oil and sprinkle with pepper.
- Cover with a sheet of parchment paper and then with a double thickness of foil, sealing tightly. Bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until the beets are tender when pierced. Remove from the oven and let cool, covered.
- Meanwhile, in a medium stainless steel saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, ginger, cloves, bay leaf and salt. Simmer over low heat until syrupy, about 20 minutes.
- Strain the syrup and let cool to room temperature.
- Peel the beets. Thickly slice them or cut into 1/2 -inch wedges.
- Transfer the beets to a large bowl and pour the syrup on top.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight. Serve chilled or warm, in the syrup.