unfiltered apple cider
peeled baked apples, golden delicious works good
eggs, separated into egg whites and yokes
- In one saucepan, heat: 1 gallon unfiltered apple cider and 2 cups baked (peeled apples) cut into medium small pieces
- In another saucepan, boil for 5 minutes: water, sugar, nutmeg, ginger, mace, cloves, allspice berries and cinnamon sticks.
- In another saucepan, boil: cream sherry and brandy.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix until firm - stiff but not dry: 3 egg whites.
- In a large mixing bowl – mix until creamy: 3 egg yokes – light in color.
- Now fold egg whites into egg yokes and add spice mixture a little at a time, stirring constantly.
- Next add booze
- Next add cider mixture.
- Serve warm. I’ve served it in a punch bowl and in a large pot on the stove. Right before serving, I usually take out the allspice berries and cloves so people don’t choke on them. If I find out that the wassail has cooled down, I re-heat it.