1 (8 ounce) packages
( very soft but not melted)
( optional or adjust to taste)
kraft thousand island dressing
( or use another popular brand)
1 3/4 cups
shredded swiss cheese, divided
sliced pastrami, chopped
( or use Deli corned beef, chopped)
sauerkraut, well drained
( hand-squeeze out any excess moisture)
toasted pumpernickel bread, slices
( use cocktail size bread slices, can use cocktail size rye bread, toasted)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease a 9 or 10-inch glass pie plate.
- In a bowl combine the soft cream cheese with garlic powder, cayenne pepper (if using) sour cream and Thousand Island dressing; mix vigorously until very smooth.
- Mix in 1-1/4 cups Swiss cheese and the chopped pastrami or corned beef.
- Spread the mixture into the pie plate.
- Top with the sauerkraut, then sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup Swiss cheese on top.
- At this point you may cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Bake (400 degrees F) for about 15-20 minutes or until edges are bubbly and the mixture is very hot in the middle, you may need a slightly longer baking time if the mixture was chilled.