breakfast sausage links
( I use Safeway maple breakfast sausage)
finely minced or pureed onion
1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon
1 1/2 tablespoons
ground black pepper
( a little less than 1/8 tsp)
( I use Recipe #152283)
- Cook 2 sausage links and 1 tsp onion in a medium sized saucepan over medium-high heat until no longer pink in center (cover partway through to speed up cooking). Remove sausage, leaving behind drippings and onion.
- Reduce heat to low and add 1 tbsp butter. Meanwhile cut up the sausage into small pieces and set aside.
- When butter is melted, add 1.5 tbsp cornstarch and whisk into butter until it is fully mixed into a thick paste.
- Increase heat to high and add milk. Immediately whisk until flour paste dissolves. Reduce heat to med-high or medium once gravy begins to thicken.
- Return sausage to pan, stirring in 1/8 tsp salt and pepper to taste (recommend a little less than an 1/8 tsp pepper).
- Reduce heat to low once it reaches desired thickness stirring occasionally (estimating 1-3 minutes).
- Place biscuits on serving plates and split in half arranging so they are open-faced. Pour a generous amount of the gravy mixture over each biscuit letting it spill over the sides onto the plate.
- NOTE: You can leave the gravy in the pan covered over very low heat while you cook other things until you are ready to serve. If it thickens too much, simply add a little more milk to thin it out.