Italian pork sausage
garlic cloves, finely minced
celery & leaves, chopped
yellow onion, peeled and chopped
7 cups vegetable broth or 7 cups
1 (16 ounce) packages
1 (14 1/2 ounce) cans
good white wine
2 1/2 teaspoons
italian seasoning salt
fresh ground black pepper
shredded parmesan cheese
( to taste)
- Remove casings from the sausage and crumble into a large stock pot. Cook over medium heat until cooked through (about 10 minutes).
- Add garlic, celery, carrots, and onion to pot. Turn up flame to medium-high; cook for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the broth, lentils, tomatoes, bay leaf, basil, oregano and wine to the pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered for 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
- Season to taste with seasoning salt and black pepper. Remove bay leaf.
- Give soup a big stir, serve in warmed bowls and garnish with shredded Parmesan cheese.
- Chef's Tip: Add extra broth when reheating this soup, since it will thicken as it stands.