extra virgin olive oil
1 1/4 lbs
sweet Italian sausage, removed from casings
whole shallots, peeled and sliced
swiss chard, I used 3 bunches
garlic cloves, minced
fresh ground pepper
fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons
red pepper flakes
4 1/2 cups
( i used nonfat and it works great)
6 fresh lasagna sheets or 9 sheets cooked regular lasagna noodles or 9 sheets
no-boil lasagna noodles
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Make the filling: heat oil in a large saute pan over med-high heat.
- Add sausage, crumble and cook til golden, 6 minutes.
- Transfer to paper-towel lined plate.
- Reduce heat to medium, add shallots to pan with drippings still in pan, cook til translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add chard and cook, til starts to wilt, 2 minutes.
- Add garlic, lemon zest, salt and pepper, cook 3 more minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice and remove from heat.
- Make bechamel: Melt butter in sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add onion, salt, red-pepper flakes, cook and stir occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook til a little golden, 2 minutes.
- Whisk in milk and simmer on medium for about 6-10 minutes til thickened, til it nicely coats back of spoon. Remove from heat, stir in 1/2 cup of shredded fontina cheese.
- Butter 9x13 pan.
- Spread about 1/2 cup of bechamel on bottom of plan.
- Put one layer of lasagna noodles.
- Top with half of the chard mixture.
- Then top with half of sausage mixture.
- Then 1/3 of shredded cheese.
- Then another 1/2-1 cup of the bechamel.
- Repeat with another layer of noodles, the rest of the chard, the rest of the sausage, another 1/3 portion of the cheese and more bechamel.
- Finish with a last layer of lasagna noodles, pour the rest of the bechamel sauce over and top with remainder of shredded fontina cheese.
- Sprinkle sparingly another 1/2 cup of parmesan over top.
- Bake until golden browned and bubbly, about 30-35 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.