unsalted butter, plus more
( room temp)
unsalted butter, for buttering pan
sifted all-purpose flour, plus more
all-purpose flour, for prepping pan(s)
1 1/2 cups
1 (7 ounce) packages
egg yolks, at room temp
powdered sugar, for sifting over cake
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Butter sides and bottom of pan(s) and flour them as well.
- Place pan(s) in freezer (i've done this and also skipped it, works either way, i feel).
- Sift flour and salt into a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a mixer with a paddle, beat butter and sugar at hight til fluffy (5 min).
- Add almond paste, one chunk at a time and beat at medium speed for 8 minutes.
- Beat in egg yolks, one at a time.
- Beat in almond extract.
- Mix baking soda and sour cream together and add to butter mixture.
- Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture, turn off when just blended.
- Divide among the two 8 inch pans or 1 9 inch pan.
- Bake about 35-40 minutes and start checking. My oven is really hot so it is usually done, but my mom's oven takes at least an hour to bake.
- Cool in pans on wire rack.
- Take out of pans, store in covered tins or sealed rubbermaid containers -- get better with time.
- When ready to serve, dust with powdered sugar.