boneless chuck roast
1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon
salt and pepper
garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
onion, cut into big wedges
1 (1 ounce) packet
onion soup mix
1 (28 ounce) cans
1 1/2 teaspoons
( or mixture of oregano, basil, or other herbs)
1 -3 cup
( optional, such as carrots, potatoes, parsnips, turnips, onion- whatever you like)
- Season roast on both sides with salt and pepper then brown on both sides in oil; place in crock pot.
- If using chopped vegetables, place beneath roast.
- In the pan you browned the roast, brown the onions and garlic until the onion wedges fall apart.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together onion, garlic and all remaining ingredients except optional vegetables.
- Cover roast with tomato mixture.
- Cover crock pot and set on low for 8-10 hours until roast is tender and the meat can twist out with a fork.
- Drain roast and veggies; thicken some of the sauce if you like or serve with other gravy.