1 1/4 cups
1 tablespoon instant espresso or 1 tablespoon
instant coffee powder
firmly packed brown sugar
unsalted butter, melted
pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts (or a mix) or 1 1/2 cups pecans (or a mix) or 1 1/2 cups
( or a mix)
- To prepare shortbread crust:.
- Heat the oven to 375*F (190*C).
- Line a 9-inch square baking pan with foil; lightly butter the foil.
- Mix the flour and sugar in medium bowl.
- Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press the mixture firmly into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until very lightly browned.
- Remove the pan from the oven to a wire rack.
- Cool slightly.
- To prepare the nutty topping:
- Stir the egg and instant coffee in a medium bowl until well blended.
- Stir in the brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and vanilla until well blended.
- Stir in the nuts. Spread the mixture evenly over the warm crust.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the topping is firm around the edges and slightly soft in the center.
- Cool the bars completely on a wire rack.
- Cut into bars to serve.
- Store in a tightly covered container.
- Note: You can double this recipe and press the crust mixture firmly onto the bottom of a buttered foil-lined 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pan. Bake 20 minutes or until very lightly browned. Spread the topping over the warm crust. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the topping is firm around the edges and slightly soft in the center. Makes 3 dozen bars.