soaked pinto beans, drained
1 tablespoon oil or 1 tablespoon
green pepper, chopped
boneless pork, cut into ½ inch cubes
stew meat, cubed
1 (16 ounce) cans
1 jalapeno peppers or 1
serrano pepper, diced
dry red wine
fresh ground pepper
tortilla flour, mixed in water to form a paste
- Combine water and beans in medium saucepan and bring to boil over medium high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 1 hour.
- Heat the oil or drippings in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, green pepper, and garlic; sauté until tender.
- Transfer to a Dutch oven and set aside.
- Add the pork and beef to the same skillet; brown well.
- Stir the meat into the vegetables in the Dutch oven.
- Add the beans and their liquid along with the tomatoes and seasonings.
- Mix well, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the wine and cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- If the mixture is too liquid, stir in some of the tortilla flour paste to thicken.