8 1/2 cups
vegetable oil, for frying
1 3/8 cups
all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
6 1/2 ounces
taleggio, cut evenly into 12 slices
( I couldn't find any so we used Gouda instead)
fresh basil leaves
salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Place a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and add blackberries, vinegar, and sugar. Cook for 15 minutes, and strain through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl; reserve juices and discard pulp.
- Heat oil in a deep saucepan over medium-high heat until it reaches 325 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer.
- Meanwhile, place flour in a large mixing bowl and gradually pour in water, mixing constantly with your fingertips until combined; set batter aside.
- Wrap each slice of cheese with a basil leaf. Place each wrapped piece of cheese into a zucchini flower and twist top to enclose. Lightly dust each zucchini flower with flour and dredge in batter until fully coated.
- Working in batches, gently place zucchini flowers into heated oil and fry until lightly golden, 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Season with salt and pepper. 6.
- Serve immediately drizzled with the reserved blackberry and balsamic reduction.