1 3/4 cups
freshly ground whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 cups
( or make it with milk and vinegar)
- In a bowl, combine the flour, powder, soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk, egg yolks, olive oil and honey, stirring well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- In a glass or ceramic bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold them gently into the pancake mixture.
- Heat an electric skillet to 375° F and spray with cooking oil.
- Drop about 1/2 cupfuls onto hot skillet and cook until underside is golden (you may not get a lot of bubbles, since this is very airy).
- Flip and cook until second side is done. You should have 5-6" pancakes.