cold mineral water
( thin slices, peeled then sliced)
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom or 3
whole cardamom pods, crushed
fine ground coffee
( mysore or your own favorite)
2 tablespoons jaggery or 2 tablespoons
dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons buckwheat honey or 2 tablespoons
other strong honey
- In a saucepan, add ginger, cloves, anise and cardamom to the cups of water.
- Break the cinnamon stick and add it to the mixture.
- Heat over medium heat until the water boils, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Add the coffee, stir, and let steep, off the heat, for about 5 minutes.
- Using a fine meshed filter or cheesecloth, pour the coffee through and into a bowl.
- Pour the strained coffee into a clean saucepan and add the honey, sugar and milk and heat almost to boiling then remove the pan from the heat, pour into a heat-proof pitcher, cool then refrigerate until it is chilled, about 2 hours.
- To serve, add ice to squat glasses, pour on the chai coffee, and enjoy. Recipes easily doubles.