2 -3 teaspoons
organic canola oil
organic grass-fed buttermilk
1 3/4 cups
( white or yellow)
aluminum-free baking powder
aluminum-free baking soda
kosher sea salt, fine ground
1 -2 pinch organic turbinado sugar or 1 -2 pinch
unbleached cane sugar
raw tupelo honey
( my favorite)
- Coat bottom and sides of 10-inch cast iron skillet with oil; heat in a 450 degree oven for 10 minutes. (Skillet may smoke a bit).
- Whisk together buttermilk and egg. Add cornmeal, stirring well to blend.
- Stir in baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- Pour batter into hot skillet.
- Return skillet to over and bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Serve with organic butter.