acorn squash, halved and seeded
granny smith apples, cored, peeled and chopped
unsweetened apple juice
fresh gingerroot, grated
fresh lemon juice
fresh ground white pepper
- Place squash cut side down on rack set over gently simmering water in saucepan.
- Cover and steam until tender.
- Cool squash slightly and scoop pulp from shells.
- Combine 1/4 cup chicken stock, apples and onion in heavy medium saucepan.
- Cover and cook over low heat 10 minutes.
- Add squash pulp, remaining chicken stock, apple juice, ginger and salt.
- Cover and simmer about 20 minutes.
- Puree soup in batches in processor or blender.
- Strain through sieve into clean saucepan, pressing puree with back of spoon.
- Reheat soup gently. A.
- dd lemon juice.
- Season with salt and generous amount of pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with yogurt and chives.