onion, finely chopped
serrano chilies, stemmed and seeded
garlic cloves, chopped
long-grain rice, rinsed
1 (28 ounce) cans
1 1/2 teaspoons
fresh lime juice
- Preheat the oven to 350º.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy saucepan set over medium heat. Add the onion, chiles, and garlic and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the rice and cook until it begins to turn golden brown, about 5 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the tomatoes, salt, and lime juice in a blender and puree.
- Add the tomato puree and 1 1/2 cups water to the saucepan and stir to combine. Transfer the rice to a 4-quart baking dish or casserole, and cover with foil.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender. Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve hot.
- Note: Leftover rice can be reheated in a microwave.