red onion, finely sliced
( 2lbs 4 ozs)
( 4 lbs 8 ozs)
garlic cloves, minced
red fresh chili pepper, chopped
piece gingerroot, peeled and chopped
( 1 lb 1 oz)
red wine vinegar
( 1/2 pint)
cardamom pods, seeds of
1 -1 1/2 teaspoon
ground chipotle chile, to taste
- Tip all the ingredients into a large heavy-based pan and bring to a gentle simmer, stirring frequently.
- Simmer for 1 hr, and then bring to a gentle boil so that the mixture turns dark, jammy and shiny.
- Divide the hot jam/chutney between sterilised jars and set aside to cool.
- Place a disc of waxed paper directly onto the jam/chutney and seal with airtight lids or Cellophane and elastic bands. Store in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight, for at least 1 month before eating. It will keep for up to 6 months. Chill after opening and use within 1-2 months.
- How to sterilise jars: Wash them thoroughly in hot, clean, soapy water, drain upside down on kitchen towel and place on a baking tray in a preheated oven at 140C/280F/Gas Mark 1 for 15 minutes. Turn the oven to its lowest setting and keep the jars inside while you make the jam/chutney. Alternatively, you can wash them in a very hot cycle in your dishwasher and then proceed with the oven method as above.