unsalted butter, plus melted butter for the pan
1 1/3 cups
unskinned almonds, toasted and ground
egg whites, at room temperature
ripe plum, firm, sliced in eighths
( to garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and set the oven to the middle position.
- Brush an 8-inch cake pan with melted butter, line with a round of parchment paper, and brush with a little more butter. Cook the butter over medium heat until the solids settle to the bottom and the butter turns a deep tawny brown and smells nutty, 8 to 10 minutes. Pour through a fine mesh strainer lined with cheesecloth or a coffee filter.
- Sift the flour and sugar together and add the ground almonds.
- Beat the egg whites and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer until they form stiff peaks.
- Add the flour mixture in a steady stream and mix until smooth. Add the brown butter and the almond extract and mix until just combined. Pour the batter into the pan, arrange the plums in a circular pattern on top, and sprinkle with the sliced almonds. Bake until the top is golden brown and the sides of the cake have pulled away slightly from the pan, about 45 minutes.
- Cool the cake in the pan. Sift a little powdered sugar over the top before serving.
- Variation: Substitute 1/2 pound pitted, whole fresh cherries in place of the plums.
- To make 12 individual cakes: Brush a muffin tin with melted butter and distribute the batter, fruit, and almonds evenly. Bake until golden brown and cooked through- about 25 minutes.