onion, finely chopped
celery, finely chopped
1 1/3 cups
fresh parsley, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons
chicken, finely chopped
( fresh or left over from another dish)
Japanese-style bread crumbs
( omit if using left over chicken)
white onions, sliced
4 buns or 8 slices
of white loaf bread
2 tablespoons japanese mayonnaise or 2 tablespoons
japanese eel soy sauce
( Unagi Sauce)
japanese chili powder
( Toragashi Powder)
- Chicken Patties :.
- If using fresh ground chicken, season chicken with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Simmer in 2 cups of water until ground chicken turned white in color. Drain and set aside. If using left-over chicken, finely chopped left over chicken and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, saute onion and celery in 3 tbsp butter until tender. Stir in flour until smooth. Add 1 cup milk; mix well. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes
- Add parsley, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, onion salt and celery salt. Add the chicken, Remove from heat. Chill until completely cooled.
- Shape into 6 round patties or square, as desired (using about 1/3 cup mixture for each patty*.).
- Roll in crumbs, then dip into remaining 1/3 cup buttermilk; Roll again in crumbs. (Patties may be frozen at this point).
- In a skillet, cook patties in remaining 3 tbsp butter for 3 minutes on each side.
- *For frozen patties, cook in butter for 5 - 6 minutes on each side or until golden and heated through.
- Chicken Burger :.
- In another hot pan, sear whole onion slices until golden brown and caramelized.
- Assemble the burgers. Spread bottom half with Japanese mayonnaise. Then sprinkle with Toragashi Powder (optional). Set chicken patty in bun or slice of loaf bread and top with a few seared onion slices.
- Spread Unagi Sauce on the onions.
- Cover with top bun or slice of loan bread.