land-o-lakes butter, softened
ground red pepper
land-o-lakes sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
( 1 8-ounce package)
Optional Topping Ingredients
- Combine flour, butter, salt and red pepper in medium bowl; beat at medium speed until dough forms.
- Add cheese; mix until a ball forms.
- Shape dough into circle; wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 350.
- Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness. (It will be hard to roll at first, but will soften. Press together any cracks that form on edges of dough.).
- Cut dough with 1 1/2-inch cookie cutters or pizza cutter into desired shapes.
- Place onto ungreased baking sheets.
- If toppings wanted:.
- Beat one egg white and water together in small bowl. Brush cut-outs with egg wash; sprinkle with seeds.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until very lightly browned around edges. Immediately loosen from pan; let cool on pan.
- Variations: Shortbread bites can be topped with variety of other ingredients such as chili powder, seasoned salt, fennel seed or herbs.