low fat cottage cheese
onion, chopped coarsely
pecans, chopped coarsely
soda crackers, crushed coarsely
whole wheat hoagie rolls
garlic cloves, whole and peeled
- In a blender container, blend cottage cheese until smooth. Pour into a mixing bowl.
- Add the egg whites, onion, pecans, crackers, sage, and garlic powder and mix well. Allow to thicken in refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Form mixture into 2-inch balls.
- Fry in lightly oiled pan, turning to brown on all sides.
- Put browned meatballs in baking dish, cover with tomato sauce and heat in oven or microwave until sauce bubbles.
- Cut hoagie rolls in half and lightly brush cut sides with olive oil. Toast rolls in 400 degree F oven until very lightly browned, remove from oven and rub garlic clove on each side. Bake an additional 3-4 minutes or until nicely browned.
- Put 3 meatballs with sauce down the center of each toasted hoagie roll and serve warm.