sourdough starter, refreshed
1 1/2 teaspoons
dried whole milk
unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons
( for dusting)
- Mix all of the ingredients together -- by hand, mixer, or in a bread machine or food processor -- just until the dough comes together; it will remain slightly sticky and soft.
- Remove dough from bowl onto a well-floured surface, and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough into a 16 1/2 x 8 1/2-inch rectangle approximately 1/3 to 1/2-inch thick.
- Cut it into eight 3 3/4-inch (approximately) circles.
- Dust a baking sheet with cornmeal; grease the English muffin rings (or other round, metal rings approximately 3 3/4 inches in diameter), and place them on the baking sheet.
- Fill each ring with a piece of dough; sprinkle the tops with cornmeal.
- Place a baking sheet on top of the rings and dough, and let the buns rise for 40 minutes.
- Bake the buns in a preheated 375°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until they're lightly browned top and bottom.
- Remove them from the oven.
- After cooling for 10 minutes, remove rings move to wire rack.