FOR THE CAKE
1 (18 1/4 ounce)
betty crocker white cake mix
1 1/4 cups
FOR THE LEMON CREAM FILLING
1 (8 ounce) packages
cream cheese, softened
FOR THE CRUMB TOPPING
( for garnish)
- If you choose to use a different brand of white cake, use the manufacturer's directions instead of mine.
- TO MAKE CAKE:.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 10-inch layer cake pan or springform pan.
- Mix the ingredients for the cake following the procedure on box. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes. Cool slightly, then remove cake from pan to rack to cool completely.
- TO MAKE THE LEMON CREAM FILLING:.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine cream cheese and 2 cups powdered sugar with an electric mixer until smooth. Mix in lemon juice and extract, if using.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer on high, whip cream until stiff peaks form. Using a spoon, fold cream cheese mixture into the whipped cream; set aside.
- TO MAKE THE CRUMB TOPPING:.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine flour and 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Add butter and dribble in the vanilla extract. Cut cold butter into flour mixture until mixture is in pieces no larger than a pea. Refrigerate until ready to frost cake.
- TO ASSEMBLE THE CAKE:.
- When the cake is completely cool, cut into two layers. Reserve 1/2 cup of the Lemon Cream Filling. Spread the remainder of the filling on the bottom half of the cake. Place the second half on top. Frost the top and sides of the cake with the remaining 1/2 cup of the Lemon Cream Filling. Cover the top and sides of the cake with the Crumb Topping, pressing it onto the sides to cover.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.
- TO SERVE:.
- Cut into slices; dust with powdered sugar.