roasting chicken, cut into 8 pieces
cauliflower, cut into medium-size pieces
eggplant, cut into half-inch slices
finely chopped onion
( preferably basmati rice)
( cumin, garlic powder, cinnamon, curry powder)
of peeled almonds
finely chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
extra virgin olive oil
- In a large saucepan heat the olive oil, add the onion and garlic and cook for two minutes until tender.
- Add the chicken, the mixed spices, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Adjust the seasoning and let simmer until chicken is cooked (about 45 minutes).
- While the chicken is cooking, heat the cooking oil in a frying pan.Cut the cauliflower into medium-size pieces and the eggplant into half-inch slices. Deep-fry the vegetables until they are golden brown.
- When the chicken is done and you are finished frying the vegetables, drain the chicken stock in another saucepan and SAVE it. We will use this stock to cook the rice.
- Rearrange the chicken in the bottom of the saucepan and arrange the fried cauliflower and eggplant on top of it. Add the rice and add the chicken stock. Cover and simmer until rice is cooked.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- When you are ready to serve, remove the cover of the saucepan and put the serving tray on top of the saucepan. Flip the saucepan upside-down. Now, you have the saucepan upside-down on top of the serving tray. Slowly lift the saucepan up. All ingredients are now on the serving tray with rice at the bottom topped by the vegetables and the chicken.
- Garnish with the chopped parsley.
- Toast the pine-nuts and peeled almonds in couple of table spoons of cooking oil until they are gold. Drain the oil and garnish the tray with the nuts and the almonds.
- Serve hot with salad and/or plain yogurt.